Wednesday 8 October 2014

Library Loot #1


Library Loot is a weekly event co-hosted by Claire from The Captive Reader and Linda from Silly Little Mischief that encourages bloggers to share the books they’ve checked out from the library. If you’d like to participate, just write up your post-feel free to steal the button-and link it using the Mr. Linky any time during the week. And of course check out what other participants are getting from their libraries.

Whilst I am a newbie blogger I have been following Library Loot for yonks now and am excited to join in! I nearly always get book ideas from checking the Mr Linky too.

Off topic, Leeds Libraries have started putting all the "classics" together, randomly near the Sci Fi in Central, which seems peculiar. Because it's too hard to look under G for Gaskell etc.....?

This week I've checked out from the library:

  • Dr Jeckyll & Mr Hyde by Robert Louis Stephenson. J has reminded me we might actually have a copy of this in the house. Anyway it's a short 80 pages and I'm rather ashamed I haven't read this.
  • The Peculiar Life of a Lonely Postman by Denis Theriault. A lonely postman steams open letters to create his own soap opera of characters. He gets caught up in the correspondence of a long distance couple who converse in haiku and so begins an obsession. 
  • The Explorer by James Smythe. Sure I've heard about this on The Readers podcast or a blog somewhere and it sounded really interesting and a bit outside my usual reads. It's supposed to be a Sci Fi thriller about one of the first manned space missions and the body count slowly rises.
  • The Whole Day Through by Patrick Gale. I read Notes on an Exhibition recently and liked it enough to want to read more by him. This was the only one the library had and it's probably a bit more romance-y than I'd normally read. Plot is woman returns home to care for elderly mother, she runs into an old lover who's now married but does a spark still exist between them...
  • Fire Spirit by Graham Masteton. I've read some of his teen work as point horrors (those were the days!). So wanted to try an 'adult' work by him, hopefully it won't scare my pants off too much. 

2 comments:

  1. The Peculiar Life of a Lonely Postman sounds good. Enjoy your loot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same on the Robert Louis Stevenson front! Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it. :)

    ReplyDelete