Sunday 2 November 2014

It's Monday! What Are You Reading #4


Weird week this one: accepted a new job, handed my notice in at my current one and then got poorly. You'd think a few enforced sofa days would be good for reading but as it turns out I just kept reading first chapters of things but not finding anything I could settle to. 

Read this week:

Though they have the vote and the Pill and haven't been burned as witches since 1727, life isn't exactly a stroll down the catwalk for modern women. They are beset by uncertainties and questions: Why are they supposed to get Brazilians? Why do bras hurt? Why the incessant talk about babies? And do men secretly hate them? Caitlin Moran interweaves provocative observations on women's lives with laugh-out-loud funny scenes from her own, from the riot of adolescence to her development as a writer, wife, and mother.

Really all I can say is this wasn't my kinda book or my sense of humour. I think people do love it, but not for me. I gave it 2/5.

In 1950s English bucolic Bishop's Lacy, narrator Flavia de Luce 11, has a passion for chemistry and a genius for solving murders. Puppeteer Rupert Porson has his strings sizzled, his charming helper Nialla suspect. Astride trusty bicycle Gladys, she investigates Gibbet Wood madwoman, vicar, German pilot, and poisoned chocolates.

Really enjoyed this, it's the second of the Flavia De Luce mystery series and they are so much fun. A lot more detail and characterisation in this but somehow the crime was made peripheral to the story with a very flimsy ending. Which was a shame but I will be reading the third because they are very enjoyable. I gave this a 4/5.

Currently reading:


No comments:

Post a Comment