Wednesday 29 October 2014

It's Monday! What Are You Reading #3


Now the clever among you will realise it's not Monday, it's Wednesday. But I'm playing catch up so let's all pretend ....

I didn't read much last week, I was suffering with a very distracted mind and when I'm anxious I just cannot concentrate enough to read.

Read this week:

Sent to London to help catch a vicious serial killer, Inspector John Rebus teams up with a beautiful psychologist to piece together a portrait of a depraved psychopath bent on painting the town red—with blood...

This is the 3rd Rebus novel and I really enjoyed it. So far all the books have been so readable and you can just whizz through them in a couple of sittings. I really did miss the Edinburgh setting in this one but it was more than made up for the introduction to a harder edged Rebus. 

I gave this a 4/5.


Gunvald Larsson sits carefully observing the dingy Stockholm apartment of a man under police surveillance. He looks at his watch: nine minutes past eleven in the evening. He yawns, slapping his arms to keep warm. At the same moment the house explodes, killing at least three people. Chief Inspector Martin Beck and his men don't suspect arson or murder until they discover a peculiar circumstance and a link is established between the explosion and a suicide committed that same day, in which the dead man left a note consisting of just two words: Martin Beck.

This is the 5th in the Martin Beck series (mid point as there's 10 in total). And it really wasn't the strongest of the books I've read so far but on it's own merit it is a very good book. I really would encourage anyone who loves crime, especially Scandi-crime, to give the Martin Beck series a go because it's the original before Wallander stuff. Written from 1965-1975 they are also pointed social commentaries. Start with the 1st one Roseanna.

I gave this one a 3/5.

Reading Next:

Honestly I picked this up because it's one of those weird oversize paperbacks that wasn't fitting on my shelves so I wanted to move it on soon! I got it from a bookcrossing meetup because there had been a lot of hype about this book at the time but I'm really not sure I'm going to like it ....

No comments:

Post a Comment