Wednesday 5 November 2014

Incoming books #4

This weeks incoming books post is all about the books I picked up in Horncastle at the weekend:



  • The Wisdom of Father Brown by GK Chesterton. For a vintage crime lover it’s shocking I’ve never read any of the Father Brown stories and this was a bargain at 50p.
  •  The Pat Hobby Stories by Scott F Fitzgerald. Hadn’t heard of this before but I am trying to collect all of Fitzgerald’s work.
  •  Cider with Rosie by Laurie Lee. One of my favourite books and my copy is a bit ropey so I snapped up this nice orange penguin version.
  • The Flight of the Falcon by Daphne Du Maurier. Haven’t read any Du Maurier either but she’s supposed to be a good read and this had a fun 70s retro cover.
  • The Tale of Beatrix Potter by Margaret Lane. Biography of Beatrix Potter that I picked up on a whim.
  • Selected Poems by Siegfried Sassoon. I don’t read much poetry and he is considered one of the best World War One poets and with the anniversary this year I thought it would be interesting.
  • A Spot of Bother by Mark Haddon. One of my friends loves this book and says it’s better than A Curious Incident of a Dog in the Night-time (which I actually didn’t like very much) so thought I’d give it a go at 50p.
  • Freya Stark by Caroline Moorhead. Another biography, Freya Stark was an intrepid explorer and travel writer in the 30s-50s so I expect there’s plenty of stuff to make an interesting biography about.

No comments:

Post a Comment